Overtime magic during Homecoming Weekend

Photo by Kurt DeVoe.
Photo by Kurt DeVoe.

TACOMA, Washington – The first play of overtime was a touchdown, and the last play of the game was an interception as the Puget Sound football team held on to beat Pacific Lutheran, 28-21, in Baker Stadium Saturday afternoon. The Loggers' thrilling victory came before more than 2,500 fans during Homecoming and Family Weekend.

The Loggers begin the season with a 3-1 record for the first time since 2006.

It was Puget Sound's first overtime game since the 2010 season, when the Loggers lost to Whittier in seven overtimes, 42-39.

Pacific Lutheran (1-2, 0-1 NWC) won the coin toss entering overtime, and the Lutes elected to let the Loggers' (3-1, 1-0 NWC) high-power offense take first possession. On the very first play of the extra period, quarterback Murdock Rutledge rolled out to his right and hit Jewell Day in the front corner of the end zone. 

The Lutes also took a shot at the end zone in their very first offensive play in overtime, but the jump ball was pulled down by Jason Clayton for his second interception of the game.

Puget Sound claims the rights to the storied Totem Pole Trophy, which is delivered to the winner of the annual matchup between Puget Sound and Pacific Lutheran.

Collin Heimbach is the latest Logger wide receiver to step up with a huge game. He finished with 13 catches for 198 yards and three touchdowns.

Day had eight receptions for 98 yards, and AJ Johnson also reeled in eight catches for 58 yards.

Defensively, Matt Ahnin came away with an interception and Keanu Songcuan led Puget Sound with 11 tackles. The Loggers recorded four sacks, including 1.5 by Todd Blakely

Puget Sound opened the scoring with a trick play that had Michael Zabran throwing a 50-yard touchdown pass to Heimbach at the end of the first quarter. Puget Sound's lead grew to 14-0 when Heimbach caught a 23-yard touchdown pass from Nik Bernhardt early in the second quarter. 

The Lutes tied the game, 14-14, just a few minutes after Heimbach's second score. However, Rutledge and Heimbach connected for a 20-yard score to put the Loggers ahead late in the third quarter.   

It appeared that overtime was not necessary when Puget Sound recovered a PLU fumble and returned it for a touchdown with no time left in regulation, but an inadvertent whistle brought the play back and sent the game into overtime.

Puget Sound next kicks off at Lewis & Clark Saturday, Oct. 3, at 1 p.m.