Loggers end regular season with tough 3-2 OT loss at PLU

Loggers end regular season with tough 3-2 OT loss at PLU

PARKLAND, Wash.—The Puget Sound men's soccer team closed out its' 2013 regular season campaign Saturday with a match at cross-town rival Pacific Lutheran, falling 3-2 in overtime in Parkland, Wash.

The Loggers applied pressure quickly to begin the match as Sam Zisette sent a header into Pacific Lutheran keeper Joe Rayburn's hands in the 2nd minute. The Loggers tallied a second shot on goal in the 8th minute when Oliver Field fired one on frame off a corner kick, but Rayburn was able to turn it away for another corner. They tallied another shot and another corner in the next two minutes, but couldn't put anything in the back of the net.

The Lutes tallied their first shot in the 31st minute, an attempt by Joe Olenginski off a corner, but it was blocked. They took five more shots in the final 15 minutes of the period, but four of them were blocked by the Logger defense and the fifth sailed wide. The Loggers themselves took two more shots in the final 15, a shot high by Ryan Rash and a shot on frame saved by Sean Ryan.

Pacific Lutheran opened the scoresheet in the second half as Giancarlo Santoro snuck a seven-yard shot Past Logger goalie Nathan King in the 53rd minute. Just twenty seconds later, the Loggers drew a foul in the box, earning a penalty kick. Carson Swope stepped up and converted the freebie, tying the game at one.

Eight minutes after that, Swope scored his second goal of the game and 14th of the season, topping the NWC charts in the category. Swope finished off a ball from Ryan to earn the goal and the 2-1 Puget Sound advantage.

After Swope's second goal, the Lutes were able to put a bit more pressure on the Logger defense. They earned their second shot on target of the game in the 70th minute, which King saved, then found the tying goal in the 80th minute when Diego Aceves struck from six yards out, bringing the match back to level.

PLU dominated most of the final six minutes, taking five shots and to corners between minutes 84 and 88. They came agonizingly close to going ahead, too, when Derek Johnson clanged a shot off the crossbar. They couldn't get one across, however, and neither could Puget Sound, so the contest moved into overtime.

Puget Sound controlled possession for much of the overtime period, taking four shots and two corner kicks in extra time, but they couldn't get the game winner. Then, in the 98th minute, Johnson buried a shot from eight yards out to hand the Loggers just their second loss in the conference season.

The Loggers tallied 17 shots, eight of which were on target compared to PLU's 18, but only four on frame. PLU's Rayburn made six saves on the match, while King stopped only one Lute shot. Also, three goals conceded was the most Puget Sound had allowed all year. They allowed two or more for just the second time all season, allowing two goals Sept. 21 in a 3-2 win at Pacific.

The Loggers (14-5, 12-2 NWC) will learn where and when they kick off postseason play Monday, Nov. 11 at 10:00 a.m. The NCAA's Division III men's soccer selection show will be broadcast live on NCAA.com at that time.