Men’s soccer advances to round two with OT goal

Men’s soccer advances to round two with OT goal

SAN ANTONIO, Texas—The University of Puget Sound men's soccer team earned its first NCAA tournament victory in 11 years Saturday night with an overtime goal against Hardin-Simmons in San Antonio, Texas.

The Loggers won on a shot by Vincent McCluskey five and a half minutes into the first overtime period. McCluskey knocked a cross from Eneko Bereziartua past Hardin-Simmons keeper Michael Vargas. Earlier in the overtime period, the Loggers had been forced to defend as the Cowboys had dominated the scoresheet by taking three shots and one corner kick. The Logger defense blocked one of those shots while Nathan King saved two, making half of his four saves in the extra time.

Puget Sound took the first three shots of the match, breaking through the Cowboy defense on the third With 16 minutes gone, Sam Zisette netted his third goal of the year off a pass from Carson Swope to give the Loggers a lead. The Loggers also took the next two shots, with an attempt from McCluskey saved by Vargas and a shot from Swope blocked by the defense.

On their first attempt of the game, the Cowboys evened things up. They scored in the 38th minute off a corner when Colyn Moore knocked in a loose ball with the assist coming from John Paul Lowenthal. This tied the match at one apiece heading into the second half.

The Loggers controlled possession for most of the first 10 minutes in the half, taking three shots and two corners in the opening minutes. Vargas made two saves, however, and Colin McIntosh saw a 54th minute attempt cleared off the line by the Cowboy defense to keep the match deadlocked.

In the 63rd minute, the Cowboys started to pressure the Logger defense. They tallied five shots in a span of just over three minutes. Two of those shots went high, two were blocked, and one sailed wide and out for a corner, however.

King made his first save of the night in the 75th minute when the Cowboys' Ruben Dominguez ripped a shot on frame.

In the final 100 seconds of regulation, both teams saw chances on target. The Cowboys earned a shot on goal at 88:47, while Sean Ryan took a shot on target at 89:17. Both of these shots were saved, however, and the match went into overtime where the Loggers won after five minutes.

Swope led the Loggers with three shots while Ryan, McCluskey, and Oliver Field all took two apiece. King saved four of the five shots on target he saw, while Vargas saved five of seven for the Cowboys. Hardin-Simmons out shot Puget Sound 14-12 and led 9-5 in corners, but the Loggers earned more chances on net.

With the win, the Loggers move onto the second round of the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2002. They will face Trinity, who's hosting the regional held on the Trinity University campus in San Antonio. That second-round matchup will kick off at 3:00 p.m. PST.