Logger Comeback Comes Up One Goal Short

Logger Comeback Comes Up One Goal Short

TACOMA, Wash. – Two furious comebacks fell just one goal short as the Puget Sound women's lacrosse team suffered a 12-11 defeat to Carthage on Thursday. Julia Schulman scored four times and doled out one assist.

The first half was tightly contested and low-scoring. Carthage (3-4) took a two-goal lead out of the gates and held the Loggers (3-5) to just one goal in the first 20 minutes of the contest. Down 4-1 with just under 10 minutes left in the first half, Schulman scored her first goal to end a 12-minute scoring drought.

The Lady Reds' Lauren Chatham scored the second of her five goals in the game in response but Bradia Holmes hit the back of the net with just eight seconds to goal to pull the Loggers within two at the break. They trailed 5-3 to the visiting Lady Reds.

Ali Gorman made four of her five saves in the first half to help keep the Logger scoring to a minimum. Linnea Bostrom had just two saves in the opening half but went on to stop seven shots in the second half as the Loggers mounted two comeback attempts.

Carthage looked to put the game away early with three of the first four goals in the second half. Down 8-4, the Logger attack came to life with three consecutive goals to slice the deficit to just one.

Caroline Cook converted on a free position shot with 16:28 left and Grace Reid added a goal just 22 seconds later. Off the draw, Reid stepped in front of a Lady Red pass at midfield and carried it all the way to the goal uncontested. Kerri Smith's second goal of the day put the Loggers down just 8-7.

Chatham put an end to the Logger run and fueled a Carthage run to extend the lead back to four. She scored three goals within a three minute span and Megham Welle added another to put the Lady Reds up 12-8.

Again, the Loggers came back to life. Schulman duplicated Chatham's effort with three goals in a 4-0 Logger run. She scored once with 10 minutes to go and Caroline Cook score a minute and a half later. Schulman them scored with 8:11 to go and 5:57 to go.

Down just 12-11 with 5:57 left, the Loggers lost the draw but Bostrom came up with a huge save to keep the Loggers within one and Lauren Stuck picked up the rebound for the Loggers. Schulman earned another free position attempt but Gorman made her only save of the half in the biggest spot to preserve the Lady Red lead.

The teams traded a few turnovers before the Lady Reds gained possession for the final time and ran out the clock to come away with the win.

The Loggers head to Pacific on Thursday before returning home for their final match of the year on Sunday at 1 p.m. against Linfield.